I am interested in learning more about if, what, how and when early morning exercisers eat. If you start your training between the hours of 4:00 and 5:30 a.m., thanks for answering these questions in the comments area below:
- Do you eat and/or drink anything before your early morning workout?
- If your answer is no, why do you not eat? drink?
- If your answer is yes, what and how much do you eat? (If you know the amount of calories, super.) What do you drink?
- How soon before starting exercise do you eat? That is, do you get up 60 minutes early to allow time to eat? Do you eat a granola bar 5 minutes before your run?
- How do you eat: nibbling on an energy bar in the car on the way to the boat house? standing in the kitchen, quickly eating a banana? relaxed at the table, while reading the newspaper? Do you brew your own coffee or pick up a coffee on the way to the gym?
- If you have switched from being a non-eater before exercise to being an eater, what influenced that switch?
Sample response: I always eat at least 300-400 calories before I workout at the gym. I typically have an English Muffin with peanut butter and a coffee with extra milk about 15 minutes before I start to exercise. I eat this while checking my emails. I get up early to allow time to fuel; I’ve learned it helps keep me from getting lightheaded and have a better workout.