This crunchy-munchy recipe from my Sports Nutrition Guidebook is a popular afternoon snack. Keep it in a resealable plastic bag in your desk drawer or gym bag, and you’ll have energy to enjoy your day. It’s sweet, but not too sweet. You can easily add slivered almonds, pumpkin seeds, and a variety of dried fruits of your liking.
3 cups (165 g) oat squares cereal
3 cups mini pretzels (165 g), salted or unsalted, as desired
2 tablespoons tub margarine, melted
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup (160 g) dried fruit bits such as craisins, raisins, dried cherries, etc
- Preheat oven to 325 °F (160 °C).
- Combine the oat squares and pretzels in a large resealable plastic bag or a plastic container with a lid. Set aside.
- Melt the margarine in a small microwavable bowl.
- Add the brown sugar and cinnamon to the margarine and mix well.
- Pour the cinnamon and sugar mixture over the cereal and pretzels, and seal the bag or container. Shake gently until the mixture is coated. Pour onto a baking sheet and spread evenly.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool, and then mix in the dried fruit. Store in an airtight container or single-serving resealable bags.
Yield: 10 servings
Nutrition information: 2,000 total calories; 200 calories per serving; 40 g carbohydrate; 5 g protein; 2 g fat